Tuesday, September 27, 2016


Memorial Portraits of Iris

Iris 1950's, (Edition of 50) 2016. Ilmenite and acrylic on paper, 3 x 5 inches
My mother died in April. 

To thank people who came to her memorial, I created an edition of stenciled portraits, drawn from a photo-booth picture of her in her late 20's.  This image suggests revolutionary cafes and poetry slams, and a woman I did not know. She existed before I came - before she brought me - to this earth.  

This is the most glamorous, unknown version of her, in my eyes, showing the spirit within her before she set off for the Caribbean and met my dad. I identify with this earlier adventuress because although the spirit remained, she became, of course, my mother and a more practical person.  
Iris 1950's (2/50), 2016. Ilmenite and acrylic on paper, 3 x 5 inches 


The edition uses powdered iron ore, its blackness fitting the occasion. It looks very like her ashes. The grains separate in places, emphasizing the figure's lack of solidity. 



No comments: